Monday, May 31, 2010

Expanding a Death Guard Army List to 2000 points

I confess that I don't usually play at 2000 points. My usual games are all between 1000 and 1500 points for the main part. Only rarely do I get up to the lofty heights of 1750 or 1850 points. But a while ago, I was asked to play at 2000 points with my Death Guard marines.

To be fair, I don't really have a good feeling of what to do with 2000 points. I'm so used to cramming everything below 1500 points that my initial reaction was to get carried away and totally re-design the army that I was used to running.

With a sudden realization, I reckoned that that idea was a bad plan. I didn't want to play a completely new army. No. What I wanted to do was play an army that I was already used to playing (i.e. my 1500 points force) and add some extra bits and pieces to it.

Now this is not the ordinary thought process that I suspect a lot of people go through. But for a friendly game, I think it is a good way to get to grips with a higher points value than what I am used to.

Here's what I came up with:

HQ:
Daemon Prince, Mark of Nurgle, Warp Time, Wings (175 points)
Daemon Prince, Mark of Nurgle, Warp Time, Wings (175 points)
Elites:
Dreadnought, plasma cannon (105 points)
Troops:
7 Plague marines (1 plague champion with power fist), icon, melta gun, flamer, rhino with havoc launcher (271 points)
7 Plague marines (1 plague champion with power fist), icon, melta gun, flamer, rhino with havoc launcher (271 points)
7 Plague marines (1 plague champion with combi-plasma and melta bombs), icon, 2 plasma guns, rhino with havoc launcher (276 points)
7 lesser daemons (91 points)
7 lesser daemons (91 points)
7 lesser daemons (91 points)
Heavy Support:
Vindicator, daemonic possession (145 points)
Vindicator, daemonic possession (145 points)
2 Obliterators (150 points)

That comes to 1986 points and 15 kill points. A couple of dozer blades and that'll be it.

As stated, this is simply an example of how I thought about tackling going from 1500 points to 2000 points without completely re-writing my army list from scratch. In hind-sight, it worked out very well, but I doubt I'd take it to a competitive tournament without some more thought. i.e. For a start, I'd reconsider both the vindicators and the dreadnought... a remnant from 4th edition, but units that I still enjoy playing with.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries