Saturday, January 31, 2009

Daemon Prince of Nurgle Project - Part II: The Build

The daemon prince has started to seriously take shape now and is all but ready for painting. The assembly went reasonably smoothly. As with all Forge World pieces, I started off by getting an old toothbrush and gently scrubbed away the remains of the dirt and mold lubricant to ensure that the model was clean before starting any work on it.

After removal from the sprues, the flashes of mold spill-over were removed with a hobby knife and the stumps of the sprue that were left on the miniature were carefully filed away.

The dragon wings were not too hard to file down by comparison. However, the stubs of the wings where they connect to the dragon's body needed to be removed in order that the wings connected to the body of the plague ogryn smoothly.
An enlargement of a join area is shown below:To actually connect the wings on to the body required some solid pinning. Both the wings and the shoulders of the body were drilled quite deeply and a long section of a paper clip was used to hold them in place. With a little glue and much milliput (= green stuff), the wings were soon connected to the body. The milliput required some work to get it looking reasonably correct for the connection. One thing that I've not done is make the wings more decayed and Nurgle-looking. I think I'm going to keep them as is, but paint them in appropriate dull browns and greens.

6 comments:

RonSaikowski said...

Looking good.

I did a project once with those wings and I know what you're talking about when you said you had make sure they were pinned well.

Those wings are deceptively heavy and large enough that they need to be attached well.

jabberjabber said...

Good point - when I first purchased those wings, I certainly didn't realized how weighty they actually were. The Forge World model is lighter by comparison, so the position of the wings becomes important in achieving a balanced miniature without having to use counterbalances in/on the base.

RonSaikowski said...

In the one project I did with them, I underestimated how big of a magnet I needed to keep mine in place (I magentized the wings I used for ease of storage).

I ended up going back and having to do what you did and sculpt some area around the connection to accomodate the larger magnets.

eek said...

I too had to pin mine quite securely for my flyrant. Luckily he's metal so I didn't have to worry as much about the balance as with a resin model.
You've done a great job so far, can't wait to see it progress!

Sigmar said...

thanks heavens for milliput !

Nice work so far. I hope you're planning to post work in progress painting pics.

Thansk for sharing,
Sigmar

jabberjabber said...

Hi Sigmar & eek -- the painting is in progress - watch this space!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries