Sunday, November 1, 2015

Hirst Arts: Cracked Floor Tiles

Digging through the collection, I upturned my old Hirst Arts moulds. Happy Accidents! So this weekend, my daughters and I got together and made some castings. I decided that I needed to do some castings to help with basing some of my current miniature projects that I've got on the go - especially the Alpha Legion 30k army that I've been working on and off with for most of this year. 

If you have not come across Hirst Arts before, then I'd thoroughly encourage you to check out their web site. In brief, the company retails latex moulds from which the hobbyist can cast their own pieces. Its a bit like making lego blocks to be honest. You can see some of my earlier efforts with these pieces in earlier posts where I create a fieldstone bridge as well as some buildings

This particular mould that I've got pictured here is the cracked floor tiles (mould number 203 in their catalogue). We used only simple modelling plaster for these. The main problem encountered here was the air bubbles that you can see pictured in the resultant tiles to the side of the mould in the picture. I've clearly forgotten some of my earlier techniques ("wet" water usage, as well as the continuous tapping to move the bubbles to the surface). Moreover, the mixture was not quite optimal as it probably had too much plaster powder contained in it -- its slightly over dense compared to what I've been able to cast in the distant past. I really must get around to trying out some dental grade plaster. Regardless, my daughters and I had a lot of fun creating these. And they will no doubt get a kick out of painting them and using in craft projects of their own! I will be using these in basing, probably sliced up a little bit too (which will render the air bubbles not such a great issue) and gluing them on bases as part of my growing 30k force.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Sequestered Industries