Saturday, April 30, 2016

Assembled Storm Eagle

With the May Day long weekend upon us, I have finally got around to completing the assembly stage of the Storm Eagle.

Long term readers will be conscious that it has taken me a long while to get this one done. This is because I encountered some non-negligible issues in the assembly of this model compared to most others I've ever tackled. The biggest one being that the edges really couldn't be persuaded to sit flush next to one another. 

I returned to the Storm Eagle this weekend after some time ignoring it (out of frustration). I knew that I had to patch up the gaps in the model and there were a number of options. Although pinning it closed in a corset fashion did cross my mind, I thought about using green stuff. But that really didn't appeal all that much after I discovered that I was running low on green stuff! Doh. So, I decided to opt for something that I haven't done in a very long time. I used tissue paper and a whole lot of super glue to patch over the gaps. 

Now, when the super glue hits the tissues, it can release some white vapour due to the chemical reactions taking place. I strongly urge readers to do this outside if you're going to go down this route. The chief advantage of this though is the ability to get a reasonable finish, coupled with the ability to use the old modelling knife to file down any "bumps" produced by the tissues. 

In the image below, you can see some of the tissue paper as the white colour near the cockpit. I think the patching job is reasonable, and once painted, its hardly going to be noticeable once I've applied some rusting and so forth the the edges anyway. Just the clear windscreen to get in place once everything's painted up. So, overall, I'm glad I've now got an assembled Storm Eagle, but I'm not keen to get a second one yet!

1 comment:

pegboard said...

I have to admit I share your trepidation. I bought a Thanatar recently and put off 'fixing' the ammo belt as the thought of melting a £72 model was painful. The warping and poor fit is really quite daunting. Kudos to finding an effective solution!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Sequestered Industries