Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Hirst Arts: Fieldstone Bridge

If you've not heard of Hirst Arts or Castlemolds, then I'd thoroughly encourage you to check out their website. If you like lego, casting plaster of paris, and you like creating your own scenery, then no doubt about it: Hirst Arts is for you. I love their products and enjoy investing time to create various scenic pieces from them.

One mold that I purchased from said company was the fieldstone bridge mold. It allows the construction of a neat bridge that is wide enough to fit citadel miniatures across it -- check out the picture above. The casting process took a little time: it required 10 lots of the pieces contained in the mold, plus drying time on top ... but this is very modest in comparison to the other projects that you can undertake with other castlemolds.

The bricks from the molds are nice to work with, so long as you avoid getting air bubbles stuck in them during the casting process (very annoying). But their website has various tips on how to avoid this issue. I simply used hobby plaster (dental plaster is more durable, but also more expensive!). To glue them together, I just used some PVA wood glue! Very easy. You can see the end result in the pictures. I've undercoated the bridge in black and then slowly drybrushed it lighter tones of greys and off-whites to give a stone-like appearance. I like the result overall and it'll be seeing some play here at home! (The width of the bridge can accommodate two circular 40k bases side-by-side which makes the scale very suitable for 25mm or 28mm gaming). I've got a few more castlemold buildings around the place, so I'll make some more postings on them in the future.

1 comment:

jabberjabber said...

I should have also added that the bricks from the molds are very suitable for basing purposes as well. I might post something explicit about this at a future date.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries