Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Reconstituting a Keeper of Secrets - Part II: The Outcome

In the previous part of this article, I outlined a plan for reconstituting an old keeper of secrets from an ogre and chaos spawn. Here's how it all worked out.



Assembly.
The assembly of the creature went reasonably smoothly, and as outlined in the previous part. The chainmail on the shoulder required some additional working with green stuff to make it blend in. The irregular fittings of the arms in to the joint sockets was also a pain as the new parts required filing down and pinning in to place before a layer of green stuff was added to blend the new parts in with the existent rest of the body.

The whole miniature is based on the back-2-basix base that I painted up a while back. I think the base offsets the miniature quite nicely.

Painting.
Originally, I had thought to paint this miniature in pink. Suitably Slannesh, right? Well, it didn't quite work out like that in reality, so I changed it to a pastel red colour half way through. It is perhaps an unusual choice for a Slaaneshi daemon, but I think I've gotten away with it. I guess in principle it can be used as a Khorne daemon prince.

The painting was really a blood red undercoat on the flesh followed by a number of layers of drybrushing lighter and some red ink washes. The brightest drybrushing layer was a slightly pink colour to highlight the red with. The metal bits were basecoated in black and highlighted in silver (apart from the solid gold claw protectors) whilst most of the rest of the clothing was done in black in denheb stone highlighting, leading to white. The claws were painted in brown and highlighted slightly lighter along with a brown ink wash to give them a bit more depth.

Overall Evaluation.
I'm happy. There, I've said it for once. The conversion has actually worked, much to my surprise. The arm with the club from the ogre looks well proportioned and nicely in place with the rest of the miniature, as do the chaos spawn bits. Some of the whiter areas of the painting could have been worked up to white much better though, but I remain happy with the miniature overall.

5 comments:

Wolf Lord Bill said...

beautiful

Cyborg Trucker USA said...

That is an AWESOME idea!! I have a few parts from one lying around and was wondering what to do with it. Thanks for showing this beautiful piece. Kudos too on the non pastels paint job. I like the traditional Slaanesh colors but this is a nice change. I'll have to barrow your idea to return mine to the battlefield. Thanks much for blogging the project.

Gamers World said...

As constructive criticism: Looks a bit to Khorney to be Slaanesh.

What I like: It is a great model and I love the conversion, what the hell, I love it.

RonSaikowski said...

Looks good, all the bits do fit together nicely and you wouldn't know thet were all from different ranges.

Nice job.

jabberjabber said...

Hi Folks: Thanks for all your comments! Its always good to get such positive & constructive messages :)

I hope it has inspired you to try out similar things in your old bits collections.

Given the colour scheme, I'm currently thinking of using it as a simple vanilla, non-upgraded daemon prince from codex: daemons.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries