Saturday, February 23, 2019

Blue-Green Shardwrack Spines

I bought some new Shardwrack Spines to go with a very specific game board recently. I have painted them up in the colours that should never be seen together (according to some): blue and green.


The undercoat here is citadel spray paint Corax white. On top of this, I base coated the upper parts of the spines in a second layer of white to give them a stronger and cleaner colour to work with. The lower parts were base coated in an off-white colour - more creamy. 

Leaving the upper parts alone, I daubed a combination of ultramarine blue, brown, electric blue, and pure white on the lower portions in a very haphazard manner. When dry, the lower reaches were then soaked in a generous layer of Nighthaunt Gloom. This is I think the first time that I have used any of the Gloom paint and I do like it. However, I like the other new paint I bought a lot more: Hexwraith Flame green. This goes on top of the pure white exceptionally well to create a truly unique vibe. Although most commonly used for ghostly miniatures, I wanted the upper parts of the spines to pop a bit more thanks to this colour. 

The next step was to use Skink Blue dry paint. This was applied to the central parts to create a better looking blend between the green and blue colours of the upper and lower halves. This choice works very well with both of the technical paints that I've used here and is a great complement to them. The final steps were to pick out the spots in bright green and paint the upper part of them in yellow as an accent.

Overall the result is an alien flavour flora that looks deadly and ethereal. However, the colour scheme was not originally going to be so alien. I was more after coral. I think the effect has worked regardless and I am very pleased with it. I will show the game mat for this terrain item in the future. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries