Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Relay Station / Doomsday Device from Cast-offs and Bits

This cheap terrain idea came to me whilst meandering around the local hardware store.  I purchased the wooden block pictured for under $5 -- it is a spare bed bit apparently.  

I then glued various bits and pieces from my bits box to the sides of the wooden block.  The squares are obviously warhammer fantasy battle citadel bases -- I seem to accumulate them given the chaos miniatures that I collect (and the zombies that I hacked up for Death Guard accentuation).  The aerial is from a tank command kit that came with the apocalypse vindicator line breaker formation box; whilst the rhino doors were spares from a predator kit.  The only other non-citadel bit was the circular metal thing you see on one side -- that is a lid from a gravy powder tin that was otherwise destined for household recycling.  

I intend to paint it up black and add some detailing to the more blank portions of the block.  I intend it to be some enigmatic kind of techno relay station ... not necessarily an imperial one.  Having added a chaos tank bit to the upper edge of one side, I'm also thinking that it could easily double up as a chaos Doomsday Device as well.  

5 comments:

CounterFett said...

It looks like the Pyramid radar arrays that were part of the Spartan ABM arrays in North Dakota!

Made of WIN!

CounterFett said...

ah, found a link, tell me there's not a resemblance?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Safeguard_Missile_Site_Radar.png

John Lambshead said...

It looks sort of Atlanean, pulp version.

Warhammer39999 said...

I'd buy it as a doomsday device. IMO, such devices should be intentionally ambiguous--to prevent them from being easily disabled.

jabberjabber said...

@CounterFett -- There's a strong resemblance there, no doubt about it! Great linking find!

@John -- Yes: I can see the pulp version of it, definitely.

@Warhammer39999 -- You're absolutely right; ambiguity would be desirable.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries