Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Shadow Sword: Part VIII. Base Coat

Red, black and silver. There's something very threatening about those colours, even if I've missed out on adding in bronze for the full Khornate trifecta. Although I had considered some Nurgle colours, I wanted my Shadow Sword to look like it had come from a renegade Forge World, rather than been corrupted from the decaying powers of Nurgle (otherwise I would have built a plague reaper). I also wanted to avoid the camouflage colours that are commonly seen on a number of Imperial tanks -- neat as they are, they were not for this tank, in spite of nominative determinism of the name and function of this superheavy.

Hence, I have chosen red as the primary base coat colour for my Shadow Sword. I have left the black of the under coat showing through in a number of places (and drybrushed silver), with an accent colour of bleached bone on selected locales. Perhaps the most remarkable thing is that I didn't even use a full paint pot of mechrite red as the base coat. I still have some (tiny) amount left over! I'm sure it'll come in useful when I get to the next stages of painting.

2 comments:

the other Kevin said...

I can't imagine doing this much red. I am certainly interested in seeing the next stages.

jabberjabber said...

I think the next stages will involve lots of dark washes to tone down the sheer brightness of the red and, more generally, make the tank look more dirty and worn.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries