Sunday, September 26, 2010

Top 3 Things I Miss from 4th Edition

Here's a question for you: What are your top 3 things or rules that you miss from 4th edition Warhammer 40,000?

The answers from me are probably the following:

(1) Target Priority.
I really, really like this rule! Genuinely! There's just something about a horde of tyranids scuttling toward you that screams "shoot the closest!" Taking out the big warrior bugs hanging out at the back would not be my priority if I were faced with a horde of scuttlers leaping toward me! Unless I was more afraid of disobeying the imposing squad sergeant's command to shoot those bugs at the rear, that is. I'm very sad that this rule died in 5th edition.

(2) "Get Hot" getting hotter with rapid fire.
It used to be the case that if you rapid-fired a plasma gun, you stood a better chance of hurting yourself. Somewhat perversely, I liked this idea. I can certainly recall a number of incidents where I took a gamble and rapid fired a plague marine plasma gunner, only to have him heroically die as he took out a pesky bike rider (or equivalent). I can see why this rule was dropped however -- its just not too much fun having to remove models due to overheating advanced technology. Have they not heard of heat sinks? Hence this is more of a nostalgic thing for me rather than being sad at its loss (like the target priority rule).

(3) Gun-line armies.
I don't know, but there was just something special about seeing a large army of foot soldiers (outside their usual coffins that used to be rhinos), dug in, and taking aim at an opposing army. I don't see too many armies like that any longer.

And ... If I had a fourth choice, then I would probably go for the old area terrain abstractions. Yes, I know, true line of sight is neat, but area terrain had its appeal as well.

6 comments:

Big Jim said...

I miss the old S5 defensive weapons rule for moving vehicles.

jabberjabber said...

Ah yes -- that one had slipped my mind! Predators are not what they once were with that rules change.

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with you about "area terrain" as well.

AbusePuppy said...

1) Target priority got replaced by cover saves. It was sometimes cute, but I think I prefer the simpler way of handling things. Also, when most armies in the game are Ld9/10, forcing checks is just adding more dice rolls.

2) Huh. Well, to each his own, I guess. Even only getting hot on ones, Plasma is pretty dangerous.

3) Really? That was the least interesting things about 4E, competing with chaining assaults. Two lines of guys with Las/Plas sitting 24" away from each other rolling dice was always terribly boring to me.

Unknown said...

I usually shoot the nearest targets anyway!

jabberjabber said...

Hi AbusePuppy -- Yes, I agree with your points. But my thought for item (3) was one of simple aesthetics -- I just liked seeing large gunline armies for some reason. They were always quite photogenic on the tabletop. Especially when against a pure assault army (e.g. tyranids) ... but as you say, less appealing against a similar army game-wise.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries