Friday, December 21, 2018

Termite Tube

Putting my Termite Assault Drill together has proved to be tough work in part. Or: at least it was until I realised that the best way to do this was not to wait until one segment was completely dry, but to do it using clamps. The only little snag here was that I didn't own enough clamps to do this the "right way", so I improvised.

In the image below, the nature of this improvisation is clear: hair bobbles. These are the stretchy bands used to keep longer hair in pony tails or tied back. They also double up very effectively for working on miniatures as it turns out!


The main tube of the Termite is not actually hard to put together. The main issue is actually getting everything to sit right all at the same time so that everything went together neatly (as I wanted to avoid gaps between the parts as much as possible for obvious reasons). This was ultimately why I decided to glue the main body of it together all at the same time rather than just two of the sides and then wait for it to dry out completely before attaching the next side to it. The hair bobbles worked very nicely for keeping everything in place (and the tread of the termite, in turn, kept the bobble in the right location). Finding ones with the right tension was straight forward enough, and I now keep a set of them for my hobby work. 

It is all nicely dry now and ready for the next few steps.

2 comments:

Siph_Horridus said...

Sweet. I will have to get some of these if no other transport option becomes available.

WestRider said...

This sort of thing is one of the main reasons I have such a preference for plastic over resin. So much easier to get something like this together cleanly with the extra working time afforded by plastic cement.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries