Monday, September 17, 2012

Be'lakor -- Conversion and Painting

One of the old gems of Warhammer Fantasy: the Be'lakor miniature is an ideal representation for a daemon prince with a round base attached.

I've had this guy in my collection for quite a while.  When I bought it, I was going through a bit of a Slaanesh phase (*ahem*).  Hence this one sports a minor conversion: a pair of scorpion claws (from a very, very old games workshop scorpion) has been added below the two main arms.  They are pinned in place using a long section of paper clip.  Naturally, drilling the metal miniature was a pain to do this, so I don't recommend it any longer.  That said, the overall vibe of the converted miniature does cry out "Slaanesh" very effectively in my opinion.

The painting features a blue palette.  I chose this over the standard Be'Lakor grey / black as I wanted a miniature that stood out from the others in my army; as might befit a daemon prince who leads armies.  The painting features an ultramarine blue basecoat coupled with a dark blue wash and electric blue highlights. 

For the scorpion claws, a more muted brown-grey colour was used and shaded.  The bobbly bits are picked out in a muted pink colour (again, Slaanesh inspired).  For the metal parts of the miniature (knee guard, etc.) I used gold (actual metallic paint) for a change.  The various skulls in the wings are picked out in a variety of shades of grey (no pun intended).  The chaos star on the chest of the beast was picked out in white and gone over (with a steady hand) in yellow to provide a sharp contrast with the blue of the skin. If I were planning this more carefully, I would have gone for a "glowing" chaos star in hindsight, but I think the final product still works well for the contrasting colours.

I wanted the sword to stand out so I attempted one of my first "lava" style paintings.  It features a black undercoat, with progressively more "warm" colours building on top of one another: reds, oranges, and yellows. I'm not too happy with the sword: my modern bloodcrushers (and bloodletters) are better for a wet blending technique, I think.

The base of the miniature was scratch built from a series of cork layers.  Each layer was glued on top of one another and then painted with a stone-like slate colour.  I decorated the base with a few skulls from spare skeleton sprues and flocked it with green and brown grassy areas.  The overall feeling is one of a beast standing on a small mound or hillock and field-marshaling his chaotic troops.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries