Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Horus Heresy 3e Review: Vanus Infocyte Assassin

Warpstone Flux Rating: ⭐️ 1.5/5 stars, rounded down. It still doesn't do it for me. 

Background. 
Combine the Alpha Legion with the Raven Guard and throw in a bit Mechanicum and you have an Infocyte. These assassins are the masters of manipulating things from behind the scenes whether it be direct control, or coercion based on secrets they've found out about the target and urge them onward. After all, the best assassin is the one that gets others to do the dirty work for them. 

Strengths.
The Vanus is a battlefield manipulator (manipulatrix?). The core idea here is they they are intercepting enemy signals and modifying them. And to some extent, the rules back them up. They get access to two advanced reactions. The first (Auspectre) allows them to reposition a flyer coming in from reserves anywhere along the edge. The second (Signus Shunt) can suppress or pin a unit coming in from reserves. The first is very situational, the second is much stronger, but also needs the enemy to be using reserves. 

The laspistols are meh. The synaptic dataspikes are at least useful in close combat with rending, precision, shock, I+1 (i.e., I=6) and 2 extra attacks. This is almost better than some other clades (but not truly - whilst the Adamus is jealous, they do have helpful rules in close combat which the Vanus does not). They can also disengage at will and has infiltrate, as well as shrouded to help keep them alive. 

Weaknesses. 
I want to like them more than I do. I would really like them to be able to somehow interact with voxes across the battlefield somehow (not sure how - just to be clear). Or to sow some kind of deception more broadly (swap around two units at the point of deployment?). Then the Vanus would be well worth it. As it stands, the points cost is simply not worthwhile taking in my view, but feel free to disagree. 

I do like the model though - just to be clear!

Builds.
There are no builds to discuss.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries