Friday, March 1, 2024

Hobby Projects in 30k for the months ahead

I've been pondering about my 30k / Horus Heresy projects recently from a hobby point of view. As my readers will know, I've been involved in the game since Rogue Trader, and have absolutely loved the Horus Heresy game in particular. Indeed, 30k is the reason that I'm still into the hobby - no doubt about that at this stage. So, I've been pondering projects and armies that I've been collecting for a while and thinking about what to plan next. The following is a stream of thought about those considerations and a vague road map for the time ahead on the hobby front!

I've decided to order this in terms of army by army. I will freely admit that some factions appeal to me a lot more than others (that, and the games I tend to play are typically lower points levels to ensure a reasonable completion time scale, which in turn means that I can introduce an allied detachment very easily). Heretical members of otherwise loyalist factions. The inverse. Those who have no place. And those whose models are simply cool! In doing all of this, I've been thinking along the lines of "main armies" versus those that I simply want a small detachment of, to those that I want a single model from.

I've put stars next to each faction to arrange them in priority for myself. I've also used square brackets to denote completeness / not going to expand further at this point in time.

Dark Angels. I’ve always been a fan, I will freely confess. This is, of course, known to my hard core long time readers. But in the Horus Heresy, this legion is not a priority for me and I don’t own any appropriate miniatures for it. That’s not to say that I’d never collect them, or a small force. They’re just not top of the list. Love the Primarch model though. Hence I have a low priority (one star out of five) for them. ⭐️

Emperor’s Children. I have secretly coveted collecting a small detachment for a long while. So much so, that this will be my next pet project! Surprise! Top priority! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Iron Warriors. One of my main army collections. Not as extensive as my Alpha Legion by any means, but loving them all the same. Very happy with this legion! Not looking to expand at the moment, but will consider it. I am content with the army as it stands right now, but I do need to paint up what I have assembled. [⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️]

White Scars. I don’t own any and I have no plans to own any either. Not a priority, but not ruling them out in the future either. I also find white a tough colour to paint. Low to zero priority overall.⭐️

Space Wolves. I like the fluff and the miniatures, but once again I don’t own any and have no plans for even an allied detachment. Maybe one day a small detachment to "look after" the loyalty of my Alpha Legion? Zero priority. ⭐️

Imperial Fists. They just don’t speak to me. Sorry folks! Don't hate me! Zero priority. ⭐️

Night Lords. I’m not a big fan. I’m not opposed either. Just can’t see me collecting them right now. Low priority. ⭐️⭐️

Blood Angels. I like their vibe. I like how they play. But they are a low priority for me. ⭐️⭐️

Iron Hands. I own small numbers of these as part of my shattered legions collection. There’s a possibility to expand, but I need to complete the ones I have so it is only a medium priority to expand, but a relatively high priority to complete the ones I have. ⭐️⭐️⭐️

World Eaters. The tragedy of this legion speaks to me and I’d very much like to explore the range. Medium-high priority. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Ultramarines. Far too vanilla for me due to 40k, but I do like the rules. Zero priority. ⭐️

Death Guard. I collected this legion in 40k as a main army. But I haven’t bothered with them in 30k. Maybe one day. Medium to low priority. ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Thousand Sons. Now here is an unusual legion that I’d like to know better and would be a good painting challenge. Seriously tempting for an allied detachment somehow. I'd love to blend 40k bits with 30k body parts to create a force on the edge of corruption. Medium-high priority. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Sons of Horus. Lots of traitor players (rightly) love them. But for me I’ve seen them all on the battlefield and internet already. Except maybe for having Horus himself, its a zero priority for me. ⭐️

Word Bearers. I have a bit of a love-hate thing for them. I have a good detachment of Gal Vorbak going that I’d like to round out with Tal one day. High priority for Tal alone. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Salamanders. I have a detachment as part of my shattered legions. I’m complete with them for now. [⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️]

Raven Guard. Same as the Salamanders. Love the shattered legion detachment I own. I also have an unpainted Corax yet to complete. [⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️]

Alpha Legion. My main army that I’ve never stopped expanding since first edition. Always a priority, but I’m largely done unless there’s a cool new release or I see an opportunity for something interesting or a conversion.  [⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️]

Mechanicum. I’ve a small detachment of robots but they’re mainly unpainted. Medium Priority. ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Knights. Who doesn’t love knights?! High priority to complete at least the Lancer and a couple of armigers! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Titans. No more at the present time, but love the ones I own. One day I’d like to at least consider buying more… i.e., a Warlord! Just not right now. Some lame excuse about saving up. ⭐️⭐️

Daemons. One of my main 40k armies. They’ve translated well to 30k, but I don’t feel the need to expand here or do anything with them other than summoning some occasionally?!. [⭐️]

Imperial Army. Not my thing. Unless serving the Alpha Legion? Zero priority. ⭐️

Custodes. I have a few. I might get a few more. But honestly not my play style or favoured paint scheme either. Low priority. ⭐️⭐️

Sisters. I’d actually like to have them! I have zero. So I’m not starting on them. Tough! Unless I win the lottery and retire early. ⭐️

Assassins and Agents. Would seriously consider this. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Black Shields. So very tempting. But not until I see the new rules. Priority pending, but probably high!

So in summary, it is a tiny detachment of Emperor's Children next for me, along with finishing the painting of some miniatures that I already have built in the collection. Maybe Argel Tal at some point. And I want that Lancer assembled soon as well. Time is the enemy as per usual!

1 comment:

Geeky Catholic said...

So my HH projects for this year

- Finnish 5,000 point Blood Angels Army. Just a Dawnbringer Squad, Apothecary (new model), Deredo Deadnought and Land Raider)
- Finnish DA Army, 3 Tanks and a Praetor
- Finnish Imperial Fists Templar Chapter Zone Mortalis Army, 1 Cataphractii Terminator squad and (new) Apothecary
- Watch Pack, i.e. 10 MK III Marines, rune Priest and Preator. (waiting for the rerelease of the upgrade packs in plastic)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries