Monday, April 20, 2020

Salamanders Squad Painting Progress

Some painting progress on my Shattered Legions Salamanders squad today. I've done the undercoat, the base coat (using contrast paints) and a number of other details, as illustrated in the images below. 





After the base layers had been applied, I was concerned that the shading that used the contrast paints wasn't exaggerated sufficiently for my tastes. These marines are, after all, Istvaan 5 survivors on the Urgall Depression. Therefore I turned to the old favourite: Nuln Oil. A good soaking in the oil has resulted in a much dirtier, and worn look for this layer and I'm pleased with the results thus far. Obviously there's still a long way to go with the edge highlighting yet to be done, and the details on the shoulder pads - including the flame iconography - to deal with. These will be in the next few steps. Good progress so far though!

3 comments:

Floyd Lawton said...

That green looks really good. Which contrast was it, Dark Angels Green? I'm about to paint a ton of epic salamanders and I'm realizing contrast could save me a lot of time on those little guys.

Mike (Didcot Wargames Club) said...

Lovely work. I've never used contrast before, but all the examples I have seen look really good.

jabberjabber said...

For the contrast paint, I am using Warp Lightning (see: https://warpstoneflux.blogspot.com/2019/11/painting-salamanders-with-contrast-paint.html ). However, to get an even more gritter appearance, I am covering it with a layer of Nuln Oil. I intend to weather this paint further in the next stage.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries