Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Intermission and burn out.

It has been a month since I last blogged here. My apologies for that. This is due to a combination of hobby burn out and available time. Available time is, of course, at a premium for most of us. Particularly us older gamers who have other duties to attend to, let alone demanding full time jobs.

As for hobby burn out, I think that this happens to a good number of people once in a while. Indeed, I would very much welcome your own thoughts and comments on the issue of burn out, or even being in the hobby doldrums.

I will be candid. Its not to say that I am not enjoying the hobby -- quite the opposite in fact. I love the hobby. It has been a huge part of my life for so long, coupled with this very blog, that I can't recall a time that I was without it. Its just the case that I think I needed a bit of time away in order to attend to other things and cease concentrating so hard on the hobby and develop other parts of my life and other hobbies. I know how heretical that that must sound! It does to me as well, and I'm sat here writing this blog article about having hobby burn out. I guess in some ways I can trace it back to attempting to organise several tournaments locally -- some of which were very successful, and others were just a non-starter (e.g., the 30k tournament that I was planning last year). I think this has taken a little toll on me overall. If I were located in a larger city or closer to London, then I suspect it would have gotten off the ground a lot more readily overall.

The other factor is that my airbrush needs replacing. At least the needle and nib of the airbrush do. And to be perfectly honest, I just have not got around to sourcing a replacement. I think I have been using this as an excuse to not do much painting overall. Even my Mechanics scenery that I posted about a couple of months ago has yet to receive an undercoat.

So, there we have it. Burn Out.
Normal service to resume shortly I hope. :)

5 comments:

John Stiening said...

I have been managing hobby burn out for a little more than a year. I recommend baking bread. I know a guy with starter you can have. ;)

Siph_Horridus said...

I wouldn’t worry, the Hobby is just that, not a chore. If it feels like work, give it a pass, and when you are ready or inspired, come at it again. You’ll still be in our blogrolls so we’ll see when you are back. “Chase your dreams, not hits” might be some good advise about blogs in general, not to say you are, but if you feel pressured to post, don’t be. Wish you some hobby inspiration soon.

LW said...

Siph speaks the truth. So I'll just ditto his words.

The great thing about any hobby is you can put it down and pick it up whenever you like. There's no pressure (or shouldn't be)

Just another mad Catholic said...

My two cents

Your day job and family (presuming you have one) take precedence over hobbies.

I haven't had the time to paint recently so I won't berate you for not blogging.

When you get back I think it would be a good idea to update the HH review page to include your reviews on the Shattered Legions, Black shields, the Rout and the melancholic sons of Magnus.

Kraggi said...

Peaks and troughs.

You can look at my blog and see an annual slump.

At the moment my work / life / hobby balance is out of whack with limited time for family anyway - I get home from work and the wee one is in bed and the wife is studying - this has given me an ideal Hobby boost, but I know it wont last forever and when it dips so will my blogs.

I miss your blogs, one of the more interesting ones out there, but i'd much rather wait for more than see or read of someone pushing themselves to a point where they never want to come back.

When you have time keep up the good work, before then you don't need to worry, we will still be here to read your articles and comment on them when you start up again!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries